Michael T. Yonke
Mike Yonke is the founder of the firm currently known as Yonke Law LLC. Over 12 years ago. Mike’s passion for the law and representing injured people began long before he became a lawyer in 1994. He was raised in a family which fought for the rights of wrongly injured people. Mike’s late father Al, founded a law firm more than 60 years ago. As a result, Mike had the fortunate opportunity while growing up to be exposed to an aggressive trial practice which solely represented people injured by large corporations.
Mike recalls, at his dad’s urging while in junior high, taking the bus to the Jackson County Courthouse to watch lawyers try cases. It was during this time that Mike’s interest in advocacy for people injured and killed grew. Mike joined the debate team in high school competing throughout the State.
While in college, Mike spent his summers as an intern at the Jackson County prosecutor’s Office for two years, helping with the investigation and preparation of murder cases for trial. He participated as the in courtroom investigator during several notorious murder trials.
Following his senior year in college and prior to law school, Mike landed a coveted job with the Missouri Attorney general Capital case Unit. Mike worked the summer working on a nationally publicized death penalty case in rural Missouri which ended in a guilty verdict.
While in law school Mike was a member of the National Trial Advocacy Team. Prior to his final year, he accepted an internship in the Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office. While there he tried several cases including a First Degree Murder case and a Sexual Assault case, all which ended in guilty verdicts.
Following graduation from law school Mike accepted a position with his father’s firm, primarily handling personal injury and wrongful death cases. However, he also worked on a select number of high profile cases.
In 2001 Mike founded his own personal injury firm which became Yonke Law LLC in 2012. Over the course of his career Mike has distinguished himself as one of the top trial attorneys in Missouri. He has been recognized by his peers as such on multiple occasions. For example, he is consisted recognized as a Missouri Kansas SuperLawyer and The Kansas City business Journal’s “Best of The Bar.” He has also been recognized as The Best Lawyers in America and holds the coveted Martindale Hubbell AV rating.
While Mike spends the majority of his professional time practicing law, he also spends time speaking at seminars related to trial practice. He is active in the community. He is on the board of directors of The Derrick Thomas/ Neal Smith Third and Long Foundation and is a member of the Tiger Scholarship Fund.
Mike resides with his wife and two children.
Areas of Practice
- Trucking Collisions
- Medical Malpractice
- Automobile Collisions
- Premises Liability
- Construction Site Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Missouri, 1994
- Kansas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Western District of Missouri, 1994
- U.S. District Court District of Kansas, 1995
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, Kansas City, Missouri
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, 1990
Major: Political Science & Psychology
- High Stacked Merchandize – A Hazard in The Courtroom, MATA Advocate, 2006
- Medical Malpractice, Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 2005
Honors and Awards
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyer, 2006 – Present
- Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2004 – 2007
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 1994 – Present
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys, 2005 – Present
Board of Governors
- American Association for Justice
Past Employment Positions
- Yonke, Arnold, Newbold & Jacoby, P.C., Attorney, 1994 – 2000
- Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office, 1993 – 1994
- Phi Gamma Delta